1. Hi guys, how is the tour going? We can’t wait to attend your gig in Milan!
The tour is going great! Always good to be in Europe and especially in Milan! We’ve spent so much time here I even have a favourite pizza place, Pizzeria Gino Sorbillo.
2. What would you like to tell us about your latest album Rattlesnake in two sentences?
Rattlesnake, like all our albums, is just the absolute 9 best songs that this group of people could possibly make. Our singer Simon believed in it so much he got the album art tattooed on his arm.
3. Can you tell us about the creative process behind your music? Do you create the songs all together?
Simon is always writing. He’s writing backstage, on the tour bus, at home, everywhere. Always creating little pieces. Then he starts putting them together like a puzzle. When he has the outline of the song he brings it to the band and we add our parts to make the arrangement complete.
4. How has your music changed over the years?
We started as a scrappy folk band. We had 9 members and no drummer, and we played farmer’s markets on Sunday mornings. We soon added drums and started to feel more like a rock band. Eventually we fell in love with pop music and started playing Taylor Swift albums in our band van. That influence made us search for the arena-sized sounds you can hear on Rattlesnake.
5. What’s your favorite album, the one you think it’s more representative of you or the one you feel most connected to?
The Beach Boys “Pet Sounds” is my favourite album. It’s an all-time classic. The harmonies on that album have influenced the way we sing harmonies and group vocals.
6. How do you feel about being on tour? Is it fun to see the world, or hard to be away from home?
It’s definitely both fun to see the world and hard to be away from home. And it depends on who you ask and on which day whether we’re having fun or feeling sad. A bunch of us have little ones at home so it’s extra hard to miss your kids, but seeing people enjoy our show is always worth it.
7. What are your favorite artists and musicians in this moment?
Currently, I can’t stop listening to The 1975. Jon our guitarist loves a Canadian band called The Dirty Nil. We all love the latest Kasey Musgraves record and dance around backstage to Lizzo.
8. Plan B. If you weren‘t a musician, what would you do?
When the band was starting, I was doing a PhD in English Literature, so if I weren’t a musician I’d be an English Professor.
9. The last question is for your fans. What are your favorite book, actor and movie?
My favourite book is Persuasion by Jane Austen. My favourite actor is Jimmy Stewart and my favourite movie is The Godfather.
Thanks ROCKON for taking the time to interview us. We’re always happy to come to Italy and that people are interested in our band!
All the best, Dave